Crystal Palace - Selhurst Park - North Stand Whitehorse Lane 1 - August 1969
Legendary Football Grounds
Crystal Palace purchased the property in 1922 and in August 1924 opened the Main Stand designed by Archibald Leitch. The Main Stand survives to this day although it has been renovated.
Selhurst Park has hosted international matches, both full and as part of the 1948 London Olympics. The ground has hosted a range of other sports, including bicycle polo in the 1940’s footage of which can be found in the British Pathe archives.
Selhurst Park was the first London ground to host European Champions Real Madrid in 1962. Crystal Palace were a third division side and had convinced the Spanish giants to play a match to commemorate the new floodlights at the stadium.
Selhurst Park was the site of the first modern ground sharing scheme in English football when Charlton Athletic became temporary tenants in 1985. Wimbledon FC were later tenants at Selhurst Park from 1991-92 until 2002-2003 when the club moved to Milton Keynes.
June 12th, 2015
Viewed 3,615 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/24/2024 at 6:10 AM