Watford moved to Vicarage Road in 1922 bringing the Union Stand with them from their previous ground. The Main Stand and two sets of banked terraces completed the spectator accommodations. The Main Stand was expanded in 1969 and remained in use until the original portion was closed for safety reasons in 2004. The 1969 addition remained in use until replaced by the Sir Elton John Stand in 2014.
The Rookery End was a roofed concrete terrace built in 1959 after fundraising by supporters. That structure was replaced by a new all-seater Rookery Stand in 199-95.
Vicarage Road also hosted greyhound racing from 1928 until 1969 and again from 1974 ending in 1978. The latter incarnation of the track had tighter bends than the earlier layout as the stands and pitch had expanded into the disused space.
January 12th, 2016
Viewed 2,437 Times - Last Visitor from New York, NY on 02/24/2024 at 1:25 AM